Monday, January 18, 2010

Food for thought?

I watched Food Inc. tonight, and I feel enlightened, yet frustrated. The documentary was an eye-opening account of food production in America, and it highlights the extent to which food has become removed from its sources of production. Meat production was one of the key features, and now I feel like I don't want to eat mass-produced meat ever again. The producers visited slaughter houses and packing plants, and the images were so graphic, I literally could not watch. The treatment of the animals and the workers is just inhumane. When we pay for the cheapest foods, this means we are pay for cheap labor, and employees are exploited. I remember at Wake Forest, I attended a seminar about conditions at meat packing plants for employees. I have no idea what to do now...Do I continue to eat meat like usual? Do I only eat locally produced meat? Do I eat fish again? What about hormones and GM foods? There are a lot of questions in my head, but if something is certain, I know that I need to re-think my food.

I have made vegetarian dishes the past two days, and it did not feel like such a strain. I guess being a vegetarian just means I have to think ahead about what I want to eat. Last night, I made Thai rice noodles with ginger and cilantro sauce. Tonight, I made peppers stuffed with Spanish rice. Both meals came out well, and I did not feel like I missed meat too much.

I have no idea if this vegetarian thing will continue after the month is over. If the purpose of this challenge has been to re-think our usual routines and decisions, well then we have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment